David Scheidt wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Stephen Hocking wrote:
>
> :I just went out & bought a D-Link 10/100 switch. There was another 16 port
> :10/100 switch on sale by netgear, for twice the price. Now I've established
> :that they're both switches (as opposed to hubs) and the three machines I
> :current have connected to it have sucessfully negotiated 100Mbs full-duplex
> :(speed is great!). Is there any reasons why I should've considered the netgear
> :unit? I didn't see anything on the box (after a rather cursory perusal) on it
> :about managability, SNMP et cetera.
>
> Probably not.  If you don't see performance or reliability problems, no.
> It's conceivable that one switch can't do 100MB full duplex to every port
> at the same time.

Actually, all these Taiwanese companies, Linksys, D-Link, NetGear, etc., make
products that are amazingly similar.  Usually the cheapest one is the newest
design, and performance tends to favor the newest design as well.

> It might, or might not, be the cheaper one.  Without test
> equipment its hard to say.  (I've got a 5 port Dlink that I bought about New
> Year's, which has been great.)

Too bad nobody is around to do some creditable testing on them.  I don't
have access to a SmartBits anymore.  I bought a NetGear FS105 in January
and pounded it with a SmartBits, it was able to sustain just under 800
Mbps through 4 ports running full-duplex.  I couldn't quite figure out
how to add in the fifth port; I'm not a SmartBits expert.

I have one of the new Linksys switches now, too, and expect it perform on
par with the NetGear.  The Linksys is slightly smaller, has a much more
attractive plastic case, and cost only $69 at Fry's a couple of weeks ago.
I have just about enough computers at home to do some testing with tcpdump
or spray.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                           http://softweyr.com/