It really doesn't. This is old school thinking based around minimizing seek and
rotation time on slow multiplatter HDDs. It also helped the redundant
superblock layout scheme of UFS make that spiral striping down a set of disk
platters. My bet is no one has ever bothered to rethink this in the 25 years
since....

Andrew Duane
Juniper Networks
+1 978-589-0551 (o)