On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Richard Yao wrote:

Gentoo FreeBSD shares OpenRC with Gentoo Linux. OpenRC is a BSD 2-clause
licensed System V init system replacement that supports parallel boot.
Its boot performance is competitive with systemd and Ubuntu's upstart.

If FreeBSD's init system is serializing the boot process, it might be
worthwhile to consider importing OpenRC.

There have been at least two attempts to parallelize the rc scripts. The more recent one was posted on the forums. AFAIR, one advantage it had was no or few changes to the rc scripts, and something like 40% improvement in startup time. I'll post a link if I can find it.

Startup time is a big deal for notebooks.