Varuna wrote:
Hello Folks,

Noticed a strange issue with the creation / update of /etc/resolv.conf.
The details of the system that I noticed the issue on is:
Version : FreeBSD 8.0
Patch level: not patched
Uname: FreeBSD shastry.eudaemonicsystems.net 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
8.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 29 22:37:51 IST 2011
r...@shastry.bhuta.in:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SHASTRY i386

I generally have a static IP 192.168.98.6 (via rc.conf) for my Beastie.
The contents of my /etc/resolv.conf is as follows:
domain eudaemonicsystems.net
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
nameserver 4.2.2.2
No matter how many times I reboot the system, the resolv.conf does not
get overwritten when configured with a static IP.

 1. Since 9.0 we already have resolveconf(8) for this.
2. Empty dhclient.conf means default configuration, you can make your own, refusing nameserver updates coming from DHCP.
 3. You can always chflags noschg any precious file.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.