This is ancient history now, but I used HP KVM switches 6-12 years ago
and they weren't without problems. Regardless of OS and hardware behind
the switches, they often acted up. Some combinations were more prone to
today i did a bit of work being locally connected with monitor to KVM and it stopped work too with system running multiuser.
removing USB-PS/2 converted and putting it back "solved" it.

problems, but since switching back and forth between targets would solve
the problem over 99% of the time, I never put any further effort into
it.

you mean different brands or pieces?