Wojciech Puchar <woj...@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31220 @ 3.10GHz (3100.03-MHz K8-class CPU)

If that the one normally listed as E3-1220? If so, it's a Sandy Bridge
yes.

processor. If not, then I have not idea what it is.

so it is. it have working AES-NI.

I am such a kind of person that i am completely not on-time with marketing, namings, etc..

I just asked what CPUs will support AES-NI which is important for me (geli speedup) and got that in Dell Server ;)

Virtualbox works great with windoze on that machine.

FreeBSD have linux emulation. i think you should use it instead of VBox if
you need to run linux environments under FreeBSD.

Yes, it does. And I use it when I can. However, there are applications
that it won't run, because of missing kernel features. And of course,
it does absolutely not good at all if you need to run something other
than Linux.

would have asked about that. My problem is sucky virtualbox
performance, on any guest that has VT-X emulation enabled (which means
all 64 bit guests).

i would rather bet on linux addon kernel modules you have to install.

In windows you have to install "guest additions" without this it is plain terrible.

Windows runs great (as for windows of course) under VBox.

Not for me. *Every* 64-bit guest OS has sucky performance. Linux,

Are you sure with two level pagetables featured in modern CPUs including sandy bridge?

Are you only running 32-bit guests? Are you running on 9.x or 8.x?

for production - yes (6 instances of windows XP). Virtualbox does never make main workload for me, it is just addon. On FreeBSD 8.3.

But i've tried Windows 7 64-bit and it worked fine. didn't see any problems with latency you describe