On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Garrett Cooper <yaneg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The real issue is that I need to take the patch Simon developed, run
> with it, and in parallel he needs to -- and hopefully already is --
> engage portmgr to get it through a number of exp- runs to make sure
> bmake does what it's supposed to do with his patch. Backwards
> compatibility will need to be maintained for ports because ports has
> to work on multiple versions of FreeBSD [where bmake isn't yet
> available/present], so maybe a fork in the road for bsd.port.mk should
> be devised in order to make everything work.

Here's an updated version of the workaround that works properly in all
cases and installs bmake as make and links make to pmake when
WITH_BMAKE=yes, and installs make as make when WITHOUT_BMAKE is
specified (this works better than the previous patch I sent to Simon).

The point of the patch isn't to discourage bmake use; in fact this
encourages bmake use more because I'm able to use bmake as my system
make, but be able to fall back to pmake as needed.

Thanks!
-Garrett