On 11/14/12 10:15 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
Hi all,

When debugging and writing wireless drivers/stack code, I like to
sprinkle lots of locking assertions everywhere. However, this does
cause things to panic quite often during active development.

This patch (against stable/9) makes the actual panic itself
configurable. It still prints the message regardless.

This has allowed me to sprinkle more locking assertions everywhere to
investigate whether particular paths have been hit or not. I don't
necessarily want those to panic the kernel.

I'd like everyone to consider this for FreeBSD-HEAD.

Thanks!

Adrian, you seem be getting reluctance on your patch which is surprising since we have "witness_kdb" option which pretty much does exactly what you want...

...except where you need it to.  That is unfortunate.

Perhaps if you switched those panics to a WITNESS_WARN that would do what you need/want?

You could pass a special flag into WITNESS_WARN that said "i'm going to pass you a NULL ptr for lock object... just behave as if there was an error".

that should make things more concise.

Will that be sufficient?

-Alfred

Adrian