On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Mark Saad wrote:

On Nov 17, 2012, at 12:19 AM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Mark Saad wrote:

On Nov 16, 2012, at 8:44 PM, Warren Block <wbl...@wonkity.com> wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Warren Block wrote:

Trying to start this from SYSLINUX almost works.  My menu config just does

Actually, it does work on a real machine.  It stalls on a VirtualBox VM during
or after the NFS root mount.

Strange , I will test it on virtualbox when I get some time next week . I did a
lot of the testing initially on VMware esxi 4.0 and I did not have any issues
related to VM stuff . What version of vbox did you use ? What network interface
choice did you use in vbox ?

VirtualBox 4.1.22, FreeBSD 9-stable amd64 host.  Only the "PCnet-FAST III
(Am79C973)" can pxe-boot, and only in bridged mode.

Does this nic pxe boot other versions of FreeBSD ?

I have not tried anything other than 9.x, will give 8.x a try when possible.

Isn't there a way to make it think it has a intel em nic?

Yes, but the emulated Intel does not have a boot ROM. There are methods to add a boot ROM, but my attempts at that were not successful and I have not gotten back to it.