On Sat, 8 Dec 2012, Dieter BSD wrote:

Having a 4KiB misalignment is nothing compared with not having NCQ
support.
Speaking of alignment, I still get "partition 1 does not end on a
track boundary" messages. FreeBSD has no clue where the track boundaries
are and neither do I. Disks have used varying numbers of sectors/track
for longer than FreeBSD has existed.

A. Use ahci(4):
   "The ada device driver takes full advantage of NCQ, when supported."
   Use 'camcontrol identify ada0' to check for NCQ support.

B. Use GPT, which does not have the CHS baggage.  It is easier and more
   versatile.  My systems with GPT disks don't complain about track
   alignment.  Or maybe that's ahci(4)'s doing.