Are you simply apprehensive over the time of buildworld?

no idea what you mean - my english isn't perfect.

I normally have latest binaries and generic kernel built for FreeBSD 8 which i use on servers (don't upgrade now as it works and there is no need to).

I have .tar.gz file with binaries, and compile custom kernel on given machine but with same sys sources. so all always in sync.

I once had strange out of sync problems - but with virtualbox kernel module. recompiling this module solved all of them.