I'm working on a port I maintain and the code has drastically changed.
Everything is going we except that the program gives warnings that there
isn't enough free memory on the system to perform certain actions.
The program uses Linux call to /proc/meminfo to get this information.

this is just a nonsense. the only thing program should check is data size limit.

man getrlimit.

RLIMIT_DATA is fine.

unices (including linux) have virtual memory. providing enough total VM is a job for sysadmin.

checking available memory by one program doesn't make much sense, as other programs are running in the same time.