Hi all,

I am currently doing some performance tests with 10Gb NICs and encounter a
strange behavior
in case when I do Rx and Tx at the same time: while the Rx rate stays more or
less stable
(almost the same that I see with only Rx traffic)  the Tx rate breaks down
drastically.

The tests are done with netperf (4 TCP streams for Rx and Tx respectively), the
test machine is
an Intel i7 (with HT 8 cores at 3,4 GHz) with 16GB RAM running 32 bit FreeBSD
9.0 with default system
settings.
The results are like the following:

TX Only:
2290.32 Mb/s Port=1001 TX
2357.73 Mb/s Port=1002 TX
2340.08 Mb/s Port=1003 TX
2382.87 Mb/s Port=1004 TX
TX Total Result: Mb/s 9371

RX Only:
1257.43 Mb/s Port=1001 RX
1901.75 Mb/s Port=1002 RX
2605.19 Mb/s Port=1003 RX
1986.69 Mb/s Port=1004 RX
RX Total Result: Mb/s 7751.06

Rx+TX:
251.11 Mb/s Port=1001 TX
3069.74 Mb/s Port=2001 RX
178.35 Mb/s Port=1002 TX
1118.30 Mb/s Port=2002 RX
138.05 Mb/s Port=1003 TX
1661.22 Mb/s Port=2003 RX
129.23 Mb/s Port=1004 TX
1851.75 Mb/s Port=2004 RX
RX+TX Total Result: Mb/s 8397.75

While the results for Tx and Rx  are similar to what I get on Linux,
the results for Tx+Rx are not. On Linux I see total rates of about 15-18 Gb/s.
I expected to see the same on FreeBSD and I wonder why I do not. The results
are quite the same for Intel, Broadcom and Marvell NICs, so I suspect the cause
to be in the protocol stack rather than in the drivers.

Is there a known issue concerning high traffic on Tx and Rx paths?  Are there
any system
settings I could adjust to get the expected performance? Any hints are very
appreciated.

Regards,
Lino