On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 04:44:18PM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> On 07/23/2013 16:31, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
> >Of course then you may have some unnecessary separation but that I
> >believe can be simply worked out if it turns out to be problematic.
>

> jail would completely separate two systems. In my case this app also
> communicates through files that it creates and host app reads
> through symbolic links. It might also be assuming that it runs on
> the same host and maybe is unable to connect to X server other than
> through the shared memory.

1. fs level cooperation is not going to be affected in any way. for all
practical purposes you can assume fs-wise jail is a chroot with ".."
escape disabled
2. typically local applications connect to X server over unix socket,
i.e. something you would have to expose in the jail anyway (by e.g.
mount -t nullfs /tmp /path/to/jail/tmp)

Of course I can be wrong here, but looks like jail is a drop-in
replacement here.

--
Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>