> > (Hurm.... Wintendo outperforming unix???!??  Something's
> >  improper about this, and it ought to be fixed...  :-)
> >  Comments?  Other OS numbers: more recent
> >  FreeBSD versions? Solaris? Tru64? Optimization
> >  patches? Can those OO MSDN lobotomies actually
> >  be good things? Hurm... The Italian gauntlet has
> >  been thrown down....   --dr :-)
> >
> > url: http://netgroup-serv.polito.it/winpcap/docs/performance.htm
>
> I'm looking at this, FreeBSD seems to better on all accounts except
> writing the packets to disk.
>
> Can any of the winpcap people explain exactly how they measured
> the disk performance?

> Honestly, it really looks like the fault lies with the way tcpdump
> writes to disk and not with FreeBSD.

What I couldn't figure out from the url was if they were using dma for
the disk. Maybe they were using it on Windows and not on FreeBSD? (On
FreeBSD 3 you have to enable it with flags in the kernel config file.)
Also they don't say if they have changed the debug.bpf_bufsize sysctl
from its default smallish 4096 bytes. Those 2 things can make a huge
difference.

John
--
John Hay -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]