On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 04:36:57PM +0100, Koster, K.J. scribbled:
| > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-09-013-20-NW-GN-KN
| > Device drivers in Perl.  What a spectacularly bad idea.  ;^)
| That's what people used to say about writing kernels in C.

There is a difference between (compiling C device driver module
and loading into an ASM kernel) and (interpreting a Perl device
driver that uses userland tools.)  Confusing kernel and userland
results in WIN32 API+Integrated Exchange Server crashes.
Or think of the linux kernel httpd project.

I cannot think of that many reasons against keeping kernel
in kernel, and userland in userland (if any). Latency, locking,
security, and performance all goes agains this.