At 17:07 28/12/00 -0200, Rik van Riel wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>
> > If you slant your judgement so far against the other products,
> > it makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about
> > (no offense).  You need to point out the pros and cons of ALL
> > three systems.  Not just the pros of FreeBSD and the cons of
> > Linux/Windows.
>
>Indeed. Not doing this makes the FreeBSD crowd look like
>a bunch of kids who shouldn't be taken seriously.
>
>Not only does this weaken FreeBSD (hey, not my problem),
>but it also weakens the opinion people have of the free
>unix systems in general ... which DOES create a problem
>for me (Linux is my fulltime job).

OS comparison is hard and requires much resources and is after
all a loss of time and energy. things get outdated very soon.

now, one can still write a paper such as the one discussed here, without
being asked to prepare a phd on which OS does what.
I've seen more "fucking" stuff in the linux circles than in *BSD ones,
and I've never found that this did any bad to anything.
just check all those "doing this with linux" books. one of my favourites is
"Linux application development" where the authors seem to acknowledge that
everything has been invented in linux (so many "linux does a well a job at
this",
when it's an old unix functionality). But I'm not gonna sue'em. after all,
win* books
also keep claiming some of the super-modern-ntfs-andwhat-you-want things, and
those guys at other companies do the same. so, that's likely to be a game, no?

yes, if we all make efforts to make this world better, it'll be good. but
we first have
to agree, and that is the hard step....

cheers,
mouss