On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Matthew Jacob
>writes:
> : Isn't this what the Linux badblocks program is for? Why don't you take that
> : and find a way to feed this into badsect(8)...
>
> I thought the linux badblocks program found bad blocks and keep the
> user from using them.  I want to read the entire disk and the parts
> that don't read I want to try again later to see if I can maybe get
> lucky.

No, badblocks always reads the whole disk- it emits a list of badblocks.
It's e2fsck that is then used to tell the filesystem that these blocks are
unavailable.

The newer IBM ATA drives do auto reallocate. It was that and the fact that
they now do tagged multiple commands that has convinced me that parallel SCSI
is now almost pointless for workstations (and even for RAID units). And with
SCSI over IP coming along nicely, fibre channel SCSI is also dead. I gotta get
init a new line of work......

-matt