"David E. Cross" wrote:

> > > Thank you...
> > >
> > > After a couple of hours, Jon Chen and I have figured out most of what you
> > > just said :P :)
> > >
> > > How would one use hints with a kld?
> >
> > Badly. 8(  You can only really set them with the loader right now.
> >
> > There are a couple of kernel datastores that need some tweaking; the
> > environment is one of them.
>
> Ok, everything is working well, except for one last thing...
>
> I load the driver the first time, and it loads correctly.  I unload it and
> reload it and it attempts to attach twice (with the exact same resource
> values).  I unload and reload it and it attempts to load 3 times, unload/reload
> ... 4 times (you see the pattern).  If I load the second module I am working
> on (exact same type as this module), it tries to re-attach the old module
> "N" times (depending on the number of previous unload/reloads).
>
> I am obviously building up state somewhere in the kernel... how can I get
> rid of this "state"?

the sample driver in /usr/share/examples/drivers
does the following:

       if (device_find_child(parent, "${1}", 0)) {
                printf("${UPPER}: already attached\n");
                return;
        }

so it doesn't do this if it finds that it has already been done once.
(in the 'identify' routine)
(did you look at the example? It's most of what you need)