In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Brian McGovern  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm playing with an application that uses dlopen() to load some libraries. I
> use the _init function to set the libraries up. I've also set up the _fini
> functions to shut things down.
>
> I see, in the man page, that dlclose() will unload the libraries and call
> _fini.
>
> My question is whether or not exit() does the same thing? It currently does
> not appear to, although that would seem rather odd to me, given the other
> types of cleanup it does.

It should clean them up including calling their _fini functions.  From
src/libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c:

 /*
  * Cleanup procedure.  It will be called (by the atexit mechanism) just
  * before the process exits.
  */
 static void
 rtld_exit(void)
 {
     Obj_Entry *obj;

     dbg("rtld_exit()");
     wlock_acquire();
     /* Clear all the reference counts so the fini functions will be called. */
     for (obj = obj_list;  obj != NULL;  obj = obj->next)
         obj->refcount = 0;
     wlock_release();
     objlist_call_fini(&list_fini);
     /* No need to remove the items from the list, since we are exiting. */
 }

If you can come up with a reasonably self-contained test case that
shows a bug in this, I'll be happy to take a look at it.

John
--
  John Polstra                                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]