Hi,

I'm trying to write a cross-platform, cross-make compatible app.
Thus, there is a Makefile.bsd and a Makefile.gnu, with Makefile
being a symlink the user makes to the appropriate file.

If Makefile points to Makefile.bsd, 'make depend' works fine.
If, however, I invoke a make -f Makefile.bsd depend, and
Makefile is a link to Makefile.gnu (uninterpretable by pmake):

[roam@ringworld:v5 ~/c/misc/cstart]$ make -f Makefile.bsd depend
rm -f .depend
mkdep -f .depend -a    -DEBUG -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_FREEBSD -DCS_
VER_MAJ=1 -DCS_VER_MIN=1 -DCS_VER_PRE=2 -DCS_VER_PATCH=0 -DCS_OS=\"FreeBSD\" -DC
S_OSREL=\"4.2-STABLE\" -DCS_OSHOST=\"ringworld.oblivion.bg\" -D_GNU_SOURCE  main
.c cstart.c cs_err.c
cd /usr/home/roam/lang/c/misc/cstart; make _EXTRADEPEND
"Makefile", line 12: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 14: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 15: Missing dependency operator
"Makefile", line 17: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 19: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 20: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 22: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 25: Need an operator
"Makefile", line 28: Need an operator
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/home/roam/lang/c/misc/cstart.
[roam@ringworld:v5 ~/c/misc/cstart]$

I tried fondling the privates of share/mk/bsd.dep.mk, but there appears
to be something weird going on: in the depend target, ${MAKEFILE} is
set to ".depend", so I cannot use this as a test whether there has been
an -f option on the command line.  It also seems that -f is not added
to ${.MAKEFLAGS}.

Ideas?

G'luck,
Peter

--
If the meanings of 'true' and 'false' were switched, then this sentence wouldn't be
false.