Bruce Evans wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Feb 2001, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering what's changed recently to cause vmware2 running on
> > the linuxemu to lose a lot of performance with disk I/O.
>
> Use of cmpxchg and possibly other SMP pessimizations.
>
> > A couple of weeks ago I could boot win2000 under vmware2 in a matter
> > of minutes;  on today's kernel it takes 5 or 10 minutes to boot,
> > and disk I/O is through the roof.
> >
> > Could someone please hit me with a clue-bat :)
>
> Read your freebsd-emulation mail :-).

You are wrong Bruce, the cmpxchg discussion was regarding why
running FreeBSD as a GUEST OS was slow, because the virtual machine was
very slow at emulating them. That does not explain why Windows2000 and the Boot
loader
both slowed down by a factor or 3->6 over teh last 2 weeks.

It's even slower to start up, before it has even started any emulation..

This feels like the system is massively slowing down page activations or
some other sort of exceptions that are standard for vmware.

The same vmware with the same guest OS (not been updated) is now much slower.

> Bruce

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    (   OZ    ) World tour 2000-2001