:In fact, at the moment we don't seem to be able to build file systems
:of more than 1 TB.  This may be a bug.
:
:Greg

    2^31 x 512 = 1TB (negative block numbers are 'special').  Not really
    a bug.  Though I seem to recall a year or two ago someone had created
    a much larger partition, I'm not quite sure how it could have worked.
    As far as I understand the system we convert a block numbers to 512 byte
    blocks at the device layer so even FFS filesystems w/ large block sizes
    wouldn't be sufficient to get past the kernel limitation.

    We just have to convert everything to 64 bit offsets all the way
    through, especially with 500GB+ drives coming to market probably this
    year sometime.

                                                -Matt