* Bill Moran ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [010331 10:48]:
[...]
> Does anyone have a pointer to more detailed information on the potential
> security hole in access()? I've got a bit more research to do on this,
> but I'd appreciate any pointers to speed me along.

I'd say they docs are referring to the potential race condition:

 - Program calls access() to see if user has authority to open
   a file and gets an affirmative result
 - User swaps file with another file (say a link to the password
   file)
 - Program calls open() on the file, which has been replaced since
   the call to access()

If the program is running with more privileges than the user this
is a truck-sized hole (or at least SUV-sized).

Rick
--
 Rick Bradley / http://www.roundeye.net