On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:31:52AM -0400, Paul Halliday wrote:
> Hi.
>
>       I will try to make this quick. I am writting a little monitoring script
> in bash and I have run into a little
> stumbling block. Basically, one of the checks this program will perform
> is to take a fingerprint of the entire filesystem.
> For my needs this is only required every 24 hours as the other
> procedures that use this as a template will do so in little chunks. Now,
> I have a couple of concerns.
>
> 1) Is there a simpler and faster way to perform something equivalent to
> "ls -aliTR /"?  This portion of output will
> be queried with checks on inode numbers, last modified, and sizes at
> random intervals and subsequently updated if valid.

"find / -ls" shall give you more relevant info, less redundant info, and
less irrelevant info.

> 2) The more I test the above, the more I realise that this is not
> without loopholes. Even if my checks are every 5 minutes
> there still exists the possibility and time for someone that has
> compromised the system to modify date / inodes to match what was
> existing. <- any input on this issue would be really great. ie: a field
> that cannot be modified even by root. I have had some silly ideas such
> as: changing kernel secure level and chflaging every file (probably not
> even possible),or maybe using pgp in some way to sign the most important
> files, /bin, /usr/bin, etc.

No, I don't believe there is any aspect of the filesystem that cannot
be modified/faked, given appropriate privileges :(  I might be wrong, though.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This inert sentence is my body, but my soul is alive, dancing in the sparks of your
brain.