On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 10:43:29AM +0100, Bob Bishop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 11:35 24/04/01 +0200, Niek Bergboer wrote:
> >[...]
> >In fact, I couldn't care less if the allocated blocks contain random
> >data (rather than zeros), since I'll be overwriting them immediately.
>
> You *should* care: the blocks are zeroed for security reasons.

But he's only doing a speed test :)  And besides, if the 'random data'
that's in the blocks is only zeroed for security reasons, there's
absolutely no point in zeroing it in the mmap()..  If someone removed
a file and wanted to make sure no one read his data, the blocks should
have been *already* zeroed in the process of removal. (Which, as discussed
on several mailing lists lately, cannot really be guaranteed with
today's caching/remapping/virtual/whatnot FS's :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence is false.