In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "David Mr. Hackers O'Brien" writes:
: I went thru this last month -- bsd.*.mk assumes /usr/src and the base
: compilers.  Peroid.  People didn't want to accept that, but you are
: giving more proof of it.  If you want to change the assumptions of about
: the base system, you have to be willing to change bsd.*.mk.  Peroid.

All my systems that build sources have not had a /usr/src at all for
at least three years, maybe 4 now.  Nothing in bsd.*.mk assumes
/usr/src and things work just fine without them.  And have for years.
Terry must be doing something else wrong. :-)

You may be right about non-default compilers.  We at timing solutions
have a bunch of files that wrap bsd.*.mk that allow us to change the
compiler to compile our sources.  But I've always run into problems
trying to do that in the past.

Warner