On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 10:04:08PM -0400, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> The TCP checksum protects more than just the contents of the packet
> on the wire; it's also a (somewhat) weak check on the contents
> of your packet sitting in memory, and as it's going over the bus
> in your computer between memory and peripherals and for other end-to-end
> sorts of issues.

Given that we're talking about this for >=1Gbps devices where all
devices do hardware checksuming that argument holds little water.
No one is proposing turing off checksums for everything, but instead
for a set of specalized, tightly coupled applications.  I certaintly
wouldn't turn it off for packets traversing the internet.

-- Brooks

PGP signature