As the originator of this thread (sorry), I thought I'd clear up some of
the speculation as to what I'm trying to do. :-)

Our adapter card is a GSN adapter, focused on the ST protocol over a
hippi-6400 link. We support IP on this adapter as well but that's not
its expected primary use. In asking the original question, I was trying
to find out how to disable the IP/TCP software checksums and rely on the
link layer LCRC and ECRC (I think that's what they're called) checks.
The LCRC is a hop to hop CRC that is applied to each 32 byte micropacket
that is transmitted. The ECRC is an overll message CRC that covers all
micropackets of the message. It is my expectation that these two CRCs
will be adaquate to catch any errors that occur within the GSN network.

Note that our card has no IP specific checksum support (it does for
ST) so for packets originating from, or destined to, outside of the
GSN network we _must_ do the software checksuming. I understand this.
My purpose in being able to turn software checksums off was strictly
to measure the performance advantage of doing so. In any real network
environment the software checksums are required with this card.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox                 All men profess honesty as long as they can.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                To believe all men honest would be folly.