Dag-Erling Smorgrav([EMAIL PROTECTED])@2001.06.17 07:48:27 +0000:
> Rik van Riel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Not quite. Linux distributions tend to be extremely
> > conservative in the IDE options (DMA, interrupt unmasking,
> > write caching, etc. all disabled) while FreeBSD seems to
> > have write caching and DMA on by default...
>
> Ahem.
>
> First of all, Linux' file system (ext2fs) is more or less equivalent,
> in terms of performance and integrity, to async ffs.  This gives Linux
> a big performance edge out of the box, and FreeBSD a big reliability
> edge - but benchmark authors rarely care about fs integrity, as
> shutting off the power during heavy disk I/O isn't generally part of
> their benchmark.

well, IMVHO, it should be ;-)

> Second, we tried turning write caching on ATA drives off by default,
> and boy were you (the user community) pissed.  Yes, turning wc off
> shows you just how crappy those non-tagged-queueing 4000 RPM ATA
> drives you picked up at Fry's for some pocket change are.  So we
> turned it back on.  If you're not happy with that, put 'hw.ata.wc="0"'
> in your /boot/loader.conf and they'll be off after the next reboot.
> Or get real disks.

that's one for the handbook, eh? imagine:

Q: i got problem {...}, it seems to depend on (ATA|IDE|disk|drive|...)
A: get real hardware, you're running a production system, aren't you?

it would be a nice thing[tm] to have such stuff in the docs.

/k

--
> Zero Defects, n.: The result of shutting down a production line.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.net/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46

PGP signature