I'm new to FreeBSD (come from the *gasp* System V and RTU world) so I
hope this is the correct list for this. ( I'm sure I will be told if
it's not :-} )

Is there ANY penalty for having a device in your config file that is not
in your system??

I am inheriting a 40 machine laboratory. My predecessor decided to go to
a single config/kernel for all machines I'm sure for administrative
convenience. I'm trying to determine if there is any major penalty for
using this single "source" for all machines.

Since we are doing significant hacks on FreeBSD to support proprietary
FAA protocols and equipment obsolete to the rest of the world, I want to
have as clean a kernel as possible to start from.

BTW, after 2 weeks, I LOVE this OS!

Mike Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]