Bill Paul writes:
 > by user programs, but these don't panic the system. In the case of
 > FreeBSD/alpha, we fake it up so know about the problem but the process
 > keeps running. Some OSes (e.g. Solaris) clobber the process with a
 > SIGBUS. Some would argue the latter behavior is better since it makes
 > it easier to find and fix what is probably a bug in the first place.

Actually, you can control this behaviour with the uac (1) command on
FreeBSD/alpha. 'uac -s' causes unaligned access errors to result in a
SIGBUS being delivered to the parent and its future descendants.
You can also enable/disable printing of errors, etc.  Really handy
when you're using a ghostscript not built w/Compaq C.

Also, Tru64 has a similar command with the same name and different syntax.

Drew