On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Interesting.  He describes in the section about 'expiring glue'
>     creating loops in the DNS server, but doesn't mention a particular
>     bug.
>
>     However, there's another section where he mentions something about
>     bind reducing the TTL by 5% for certain credibility cases.
>
>     Going back to my original posting... the NS is 2016 and fuji
>     is 1846 = 170 = 5%.
>
>     I think This credibility stuff reducing the TTL in named is
>     responsible for these blowups.  I am going to email the bind group
>     with this whole mess to see what they have to say.
>
>                                           -Matt

I wish you luck in getting it fixed.  That 5% may have been intended for
removal; 8.1.2 used to reduce the TTL by 5% for _each_ query.  That was
clearly removed for 8.2, but perhaps the initial decrement was forgotten.

However, the problem probably indicates a more serious problem in 8.x's
resolver, which may be fixed in 9 and is not intended to be backported.  I
guess Mark'll have to answer that.  (He seems to read and reply to
-security, so he appears reachable.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack