>> Neither tar nor cpio is suitable for backup purposes.

Well, my answer wasn't sufficiently exact. The question
behind is whether you want to back up a number of files
or a file system. For the latter case you need a tool that
has sufficient knowledge of the file system.

Therefore

>> Use dump instead.

...for saving file systems.

~
~

>> BTW this is a subject for -questions rather than -hackers.
>
> I sent this to hackers hoping someone would say suitable modifications to
> tar/cpio/pax could be made :)

Eventually that would lead to another dump(8-)

Lars