On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 11:35:32AM +0000, Julian Stacey wrote:
> So something is momentarily making the image unreadable.
> Should FreeBSD [mount/kernel ?] be changed to avoid denying access ?

When you do a mount it automatically HUP's mountd which then
re-exports NFS filesystems. I suspect what is happening is that
the the filesystem mountlist is being cleared for a moment and that
is upsetting the cp.

You could try moving /var/run/mountd.pid out of the way and running
the mount command. That should stop mount HUPing mountd, which
would let you test this theory.

        David.