* Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010820 03:26] wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 01:19:05AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
>
> > Regarding stripping gcc2_compiled..  strip can only filter symbols from
> > the .symtab and .symstr symbol tables.  Since strip already removes both
> > of those sections, the -N gcc2_compiled is useless.  strip cannot modify
> > the .dynsym/.dynstr in the PT_LOAD sections, so those will stay regardless.
> > In all, I think this -R gcc2_compiled. is useless unless you're in -X or
> > -D mode (only remove debug symbols etc).
>
> Are you sure this is true?  The binaries I've stripped in this way
> don't seem to contain any reference to the symbol.

Personally I find that doubling of flag to change behavior breaks
POLA unless it's the option for 'verbose'.  I can imagine a bunch
of scripts that might accidentally add flags to existing flags
causing breakage.  Sort of like if 'cc -g -g' did something odd to
the generated debug symbols.

Just my opinion though.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Ok, who wrote this damn function called '??'?