On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 12:04:45PM +0200, Gunnar Olsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To increase number of xterms I thought.
> only the option MAXCONS could be changed.
> But even though I change it from 16 to 32,
> I still only get 16.
>
> Someone there who can give me I quick answer?

I think this is the same issue that came up with a friend of mine
just today.

Actually, you do have 32 consoles; you just cannot switch to them
using the function keys.  The Alt-Fx combinations are only defined
for 16 consoles (you have to use Alt-Shift-F[3-6] for the last four).
Extending this would plough straight into the key definitions for
the function keys themselves, which would be a Bad Thing (tm).

You still can get to the additional consoles by switching to ttyvf
(Alt-Shift-F6) and repeatedly pressing PrintScreen to get to
the next VC.

I realize that this is probably not much help, but it might be
a wise thing to step back and think if you really do need all
that many VC's; my friend's reply was 'I like to watch logs',
but this is easily done with screen(1) - ^A 0 to ^A 9 give you
10 terminals per VC :)

G'luck,
Peter

--
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI