ehlo.

> :  Second, application not always grows to 1G, most of the time it keeps
> :  as small as 500M ;). Why should we precommit 1G for 500M data? Doing
> :  multi-mmap memory management is additional pain.
>
>     Why not?  Disk space is cheap.

  Developer time is expensive. Someone already wrote good allocation
  routines, and they are inside libc. Reinventing bycicle in every
  new large-scale application doesn't sounds good for me.

>     For a problem like this I would simply
>     throw in two 30G+ hard drives and partition them with 16G of swap each,
>     giving me 32G of swap for the machine.

  As it was said here before, there are actually two problems: notification
  (avoiding silently kills) and getting more paging space. The second can
  be solved by adding swap space. The first -- cannot. As developer, I'm
  more interested in first. Current solution with killproc() is not
  acceptable.

  Just imagine any OS documentation which say: "the OS may
  terminate process at any point with no warning or notification". Would
  you like to use it? But this is exactly what FreeBSD does at OOM.

>     Even using file-backed memory is fairly trivial.  You don't need to
>     do multi-mmap memory management or do any kernel tweaking.  Just
>     reserve 1G and use a single mmap() and file per process.

  As I already said, it is not trivial. It involves writing/adopting
  some allocation stuff. It means time & human resources -> money.

--
dozen @ home