Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:39:57PM +0100, void wrote:
> > If syslogd used the kqueue interface, I believe it could open a new log
> > file as soon as it was created, rather than waiting to receive a signal.
> > Would this be worth doing, or would it be too big a divergence from the
> > traditional behavior?
>
> I assume you mean "as soon as the configuration file is modified"?
> That would be a big violation of POLA.

You need the mount point.

Several OSs handle this by being able to mount on any
mount point, whether it exists, or not.

You could do this pretty easily in FreeBSD by adding a
directory lookup cache entry for non-existant mount points,
which is never aged out, and then using that as the mount
point (in theory, never aging out mount points is a good
idea in any case, since it protects you from several classes
of NFS deadlocks, as well -- unless they go stale, in which
case, it's no worse than before).

Another alternative I have suggested in the past is to make
the devfs two deep:

o       Have a "/" that contains a single directory "/dev"

o       Have "/dev" be what normally gets mounted on "/dev"
        as the root of an FS

o       Union mount root over top of "/" -- in other
        words, mount devfs as /, first

I really like the second one, but I have other obscure uses
in mind, and since it would make chroot jails harder, if you
didn't also permit deffs to mount flat without the "/dev/"
insert, it's probably better to take the forst approach.

-- Terry