:> > > There is a bug in Adaptec BIOSen that they will not tolerate DD disks.
:> >
:> > Which controllers have this bug?  I've got a whole bunch of 7880 and 79xx
:> > controllers with disks running in DD mode and never have had this problem.
:>
:> Happens to me on L440GX+ boards.
:
:Also happens on IBM Netfinity servers with aic7896/97 controllers. It
:*may* be the case that this only happens with certain Adaptec BIOS
:versions, but it's very real.

    I started getting this on DELL's a year and a half ago.  The
    dangerously dedicated partition was to blame (which is what eventually
    led to my fixing the disklabel auto code).  Well, ok, the Adaptec BIOS
    was to blame, but there isn't much we can do about it so...

    In my case it wasn't enough to repartition the disk.  The old
    data still screwed up the BIOS.  I had to physically wipe (with dd)
    the first couple of sectors before repartitioning it use the
    fdisk -BI / disklabel -r -w da0s1 auto combination.

                                        -Matt
                                        Matthew Dillon
                                        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

:Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
:To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message
: