In a message dated 10/13/2001 1:24:14 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> >>  You tell your supplier that since the 405 is being "phased out" that he
>  >>  should sell you a bunch of them at closeout prices.
>  >>
>  >
>  >Perhaps the fact that the (incredibly slow) 2501 has been
>  >phased out has caused Hitachi to "phase out" their part?
>
>  You know I really think your baiting me.  You know perfectly well that
>  Hitachi and Cisco are not the same company.  Anyway, Cisco is still
>  selling the 2501 router, (although list on it is $2600 and nobody buying
>  it for a single connection to the Internet would buy it new) I just
>  logged into their reseller's website and the 2501 is still readily
available.

I dont have to "bait" you..but you dont seem to "get" it. Cisco isnt
manufacturing 2501s anymore, so they areent buying ICs from Hitachi anymore
(I dont know where you get this "same company" stuff). Cisco may have stopped
buying them years ago. Often when a chip manufacturer loses their main
customer, they discontinue the part for newer parts, or often when they
upgrade their foundries to new processes they can no longer make older parts,
and its not cost-effective to rework them.

I only suggested that a card vendor is not in control of this, so it may not
be their choice that a card is being "phased out". When you buy ICs you get a
notice a year in advance that the part is being phased out.

You are arguing a point without any facts, and Im merely suggesting a
scenario in which your "logic" doesnt work. Take if for what its worth. Im
sure you dont understand the opportunity costs that Hitachi has related to
their foundry capacities.