On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 10:17:21AM -0700, Matt Dillon wrote:

>     Nobody in their right mind uses a struct sockaddr_in or any other
>     struct sock* type of structure without zeroing it first.

  Nobody in their right mind requires to fill any data except these
  used in given call. If no one checks, reads or alters sin_zero inside
  libc/kernel, why should user do it? For what? Does it prevent from
  detecting invalid parameters? No. It just eats a few processor cycles.

  For me, it looks like ... like requiring setting errno to zero before
  any system call.

  If you think it still required, it must be stated explicitely in
  documentation; btw, Single Unix Spec has no this requirement.

> I suppose
>     we can document that in the man pages, but we certainly should not go
>     hacking up the kernel code to work around bad programmers.

  Work around? Nope. Just removing unnecessary constraint.

--
dozen @ home