On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 10:15:30PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > and ordinary user will find FreeBSD is slower, could we let user to
> > select which kernel to install at installing time?
>
> It's a possibility that I've considered, given that sysinstall
> had a hard time supporting installing FreeBSD from a single CDROM
> image to support both developers and the end product with a single
> "golden" system image.
>
> The problem with doing this is that it sort of grates against the
> idea of a "GENERIC" entirely.

The problem with GENERIC is it is the lowest common denominator.
While it's really cool we can still boot on a 386 with 4 meg of
RAM, making the compromises to make that happen is not terribly
useful.

GENERIC should be tuned _above_ the median PC, because after it's
out PC's will continue to be upgraded.  If we want to retain the
(easy) ability to boot on a 4 meg machine we can supply a second
MICRO-GENERIC.

For some random thoughts, MAXMEM should be 256M minimum, 1G
preferably.  MAXUSERS should be perhaps 128 or 256 out of the box.
I'd suggest our target should be a P-III 600 with around 256M of
RAM as what Generic should be tuned for....

--
       Leo Bicknell - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [EMAIL PROTECTED], www.tmbg.org