On Sat, 8 Dec 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> >> The issue is non-trivial to fix because we currently don't pass
> >> dup(2) events through the vnode layer.
> >
> >Are you sure this is even necessary?
> >
> >They are talking about "per-open", not "per-fd-instance" data,
> >which could easily exclude dup, dup2, and fcntl(f_DUPFD).
>
> If you don't include dup/dup2/fnctl in your accounting, you can only
> reliably tell "first open", "another open", "some close"  and "final
> close".  You an modulate this with the pid, but you still have no idea
> what is going on in any amount of detail.

Generally speaking, the information of interest to me would be "first
open" for a particular struct file, and "last close".  Other migration of
the reference to struct file around the system would not be so useful: if
a process wants new references to be visible at the device layer, they can
always open more references using new struct files.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      NAI Labs, Safeport Network Services