Hi,

wertejuk> I was really nerved when I noticed that rtadvd is exiting
wertejuk> without any notice if the host is not an ipv6 gateway.

wertejuk> Since it took me a lot of time to find this problem
wertejuk> I wrote a patch for rtadvd to show a message and
wertejuk> noticed something strange:
wertejuk> rtadvd won't exit even if ipv6 forwarding is not
wertejuk> enabled, take a look at this patch. (attachement)
wertejuk> Watch out for the changed if-condition.

wertejuk> Is that really a bug ?

No, I don't think it is a bug.  The value of `forwarding' is checked
later.  From config.c:

        /*
         * Basically, hosts MUST NOT send Router Advertisement messages at any
         * time (RFC 2461, Section 6.2.3). However, it would sometimes be
         * useful to allow hosts to advertise some parameters such as prefix
         * information and link MTU. Thus, we allow hosts to invoke rtadvd
         * only when router lifetime (on every advertising interface) is
         * explicitly set zero. (see also the above section)
         */
        if (val && forwarding == 0) {
                syslog(LOG_WARNING,
                       "<%s> non zero router lifetime is specified for %s, "
                       "which must not be allowed for hosts.",
                       __FUNCTION__, intface);
                exit(1);
        }

And, I believe the message goes to syslog in this case.

Sincerely,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/