good point.  it seems that on open (yet restricted) systems, users wouldn't
be ./configure'ing much software, particularly if quotas are small and
network access is next to none, which would leave me inclined to go with
the kill().

But, of course, that would just be for my own uses.  Perhaps there's a way
to do both?  Either have two login.conf variables, one for delay and one
for timespan, or even combine them into one with a 'd' or 't' suffix?  I
guess the kill() isn't particularly necessary.
-Anthony.