> Is C a great language, or what? ;-)

Nah, just mediocre even when it comes to obfuscation!
Have you played with unlambda?!

> The way I always remember it is that you read the declaration
> inside-out: starting with the variable name and then heading toward
> the outside while obeying the precedence rules.  When you hit a "*",
> you say "pointer to"; when you hit "[]", you say "array of"; and when
> you hit "()" you say "function returning."  For example:

I remember something about switching declaration reading
direction when you hit a bracket; but why bother once you
have cdecl?

cdecl> declare f as array of pointer to function returning pointer to function
returning int

It is not clear to me how to apply your rule.  It doesn't
matter though, it is gotten to the point where I can only
store ptrs to ptrs to information in my ever shrinking brain!

To the people who pointed out the cdecl port, I did look in
/usr/ports/devel but missed cdecl somehow.  Sigh... :-)

-- bakul