> I find this hard to believe. The "sis" driver does the padding
> itself, using ones for the padding. I have verified this locally.
> And a switch which receives a short packet (runt packet) is
> not supposed to pass it through.

I have verified this as well, and did before I hacked that patch together.

> > ed, vr, rl
>
> ok, these three drivers behave as follows:
>
>  "ed" pads with whatever is left in the transmit buffer from
>       earlier transmissions;
>  "vr" pads with whatever is available in the mbuf after the actual data;
>  "rl" pads with zeroes (in the driver)
> and of course
>  "sis" pads in hardware (with ones)

I'm downloading the 802.3 spec now.  Just to be sure.  Of course I have
no problem letting the driver stand as is if it's "right" but my memory,
which I'm checking via the spec, is that short packets are to be padded
with 0s.

More when the darned things are done.

BTW I've no attachment to putting this change in, I decided to check/fix this as a
way of testing my new development environment.  We can always close the
PR, which is kern/35442.

Later,
George

--
George V. Neville-Neil                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NIC:GN82

"Those who would trade liberty for temporary security deserve neither"
                                                - Benjamin Franklin