Hi Dima,

Can you hold off on this one for a bit ?   I would like to see how
dumpdevices end in GEOM before I make up my mind.  It may be needed
to do more than the sysctl in a GEOM world ( like actually opening
the device for instance) so a program like dumpon would be useful
to embed this code in.

Poul-Henning

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dima Dorfman writes:
>Since sysctl(8) grew support for setting dev_t's, dumpon(8) can be
>reduced to:
>
>       sysctl kern.dumpdev=$argument
>
>Since dumpon(8) is not a standard interface and only appears to be
>used in /etc/rc, I'd like to change the latter to use sysctl(8)
>directly and remove dumpon(8) from the tree.  The only issue I can see
>is that there is a lot of relevant information in the dumpon(8) manual
>page, but most of it is probably more appropriate for the Handbook or
>crash(8), anyway.
>
>If nobody objects, I'd like to move the relevant stuff out of the
>dumpon(8) manual and proceed to remove the program itself as described
>above.
>
>Thanks.
>
>To Unsubscribe: send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

[EMAIL PROTECTED]         | TCP/IP since RFC 956