On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, J. Seth Henry wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a particular need to read and write a single byte to a register on a
> VIA chipset. I have a feeling that this is probably a lot easier than it
> seems, but I haven't done anything like this before.
>
> I have a system with a VIA VT82C686 southbridge. Connected to several of its
> general purpose I/O lines are the LCD backlight control, and several LED's.
> There is a linux program available that will manipulate the register, but it
> fails to work under FreeBSD. The location in memory is EE4C. I can provide
> the original Linux code on request.

Is that in Memory space, or in I/O space? If it's I/O you can just
i386_set_ioperm() yourself the space then inb() and outb() it from
userland.

0xee4c would seem too low for a memory access point.

If it's not a separate function of the southbridge, then hooking it to a
driver would be tricky without some serious hackery to whatever driver is
grabbing that device/function.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]     |  www.FreeBSD.org